Thursday, December 4, 2008

Be Careful

One morning, a few days ago, my sister in law told me that there's a woman looking for me. My in law told me that the woman was an errand of my neighbor and was told to see me for something. I wonder what she wanted from me. Then I came out to find out.

I've never met the woman before. She greeted me politely. and you know what??? She's a sales woman. She's selling MLM products like detergent, softener and floor cleaner. The MLM brand name was Misel. Ever heard of it? She tried to convince me that the products are the best. She compared them with other branded product like CNI and AmWay.

Well, I'm not an easily convinced person. First I told her that I didn't have any money to buy her products. Very expensive to me. She said "Please Mam, I've come a long way from here, trying to earn some money for my orphans". Then I told her that she hit the wrong target. I'm not the one in charge to manage the households. The house I live in belongs to my mother in law. The things I regularly buy are only my little family needs like diapers for my baby, toiletries for me, my husband and daughters, milk, food and mineral water. The ones in charge in our big family (there are 11 person live in the house) are my in laws. Once I told the sales woman so, she put all her products back in her plastic bag then stepped out the house, left me without saying any words. She went outside and met my mother and sister in law who were sitting in front of he house. She tried to sell her products to them. My sister in law ended up with buying one of the products. What a waste, sixty five thousand rupiahs for a bottle of liquid soap to clean cloths and dishes.

Another story happened just this afternoon. I was in my room, watching my baby's innocent face. She was sleeping. My niece came and told me that there's someone looking for me. I came out to find out. There were my mother in law and her assistant, my niece, and two other ladies that I have never met before. Seeing me, one of them said "oh yes, here's bunda..." like she has known me for years. She told me that she was sent by her mother to give me something like a present. I didn't know what it was. It was wrapped in a black plastic bag. It looked like food, cake or something. "I made it for bunda. Thank you for donating our foundation. You donated some money for us on behalf of Mrs. Sodik (my mother in law), right?" she said. "No, I didn't" I reply. I have never donated any money on behalf of my mother in law or anyone else in the family. "Oh yes, it was in 2006" she said. "Here's the thing bunda, There's something I want to talk to you" she asked me to sit down and listen to her. "We're having this 'sunatan massal', it costs us some money (she mentioned an amount of money but I forget how much--didn't pay much attention). We need more donation to buy sarung and kopiah" said the lady. While listening to her, I opened the plastic bag. There were three boxes of donuts--Pelita Donuts. Pelita Donuts is a homemade donuts brand. It has little store not very far from our house. I said "Are you sure you made it yourself? I know Pelita Donuts". She said "I made it myself". I noticed there's something wrong. To end the conversation I said " I am sorry, I don't have any money right now. We've just lost our car. We're in bad economic situation. Do you have any name /business card? May be someday when things get better we could make donation for your foundation". She said "Sorry I don't have one". And then.......she wrapped up the plastic bag that I've opened to see what's in it, and took it away with her.

Moral lessons:
  • Don't trust anyone easily, even if they show positive attitude at first sight. They're just act friendly to open conversation.
  • Beware of someone brings something in black/dark plastic bag. They are salesmans (not always...hehehe..)
  • If there's anyone offers you something, always check it first.
  • Don't let your door open. Don't sit in front of your house for quite a long time. It invites unknown people.
  • Don't be easily feel sorry for anyone mentions orphans, orphanage, or something like that.
  • ..... you could help me to add to the list
So....be careful guys, people are getting more "creative" these days.

I hope you can take advantage of my experience.

4 comments:

  1. nice story...pelajaran buat semua...gw hampir kena, untung baby sitter gw pinter, dan kebetulan rumah gw lagi rame karena anak 2x tetangga gw lg main di depan rumah...Allah SWT masih melindungi keluarga gw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it could happen to anyone, anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umi, congratulation for your blog!! You have to teach me how to write ini english ;)
    my suggestion is try another template from the original one, so u can have unique and cute blog.
    keep good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. please visit my blog

    ReplyDelete